skip to main content

Consent 2 It

Sexual Assault Referral Centres

Most areas now have a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), for men and women. You can contact them yourself or ask a friend or someone from your School to contact them on your behalf. You can approach them in confidence, whether or not you wish to report the assault. They offer advice, support and a forensic medical examination if requested. They can collect and store forensic evidence, and support you if you later choose to report the incident to the police. It is also possible to pass on anonymous information about the assault, which may help agencies identify offending patterns/ behaviour or serial offenders.

The Meadows, 0191 3729202,

Or Regional SARC Support Service – 03333 448283.


Rape & Sexual Abuse Counselling Centre, 01325 369933,

The Rape and Sexual Abuse Counselling Centre is a charity that offers counselling and support to women who have experienced sexual violence in County Durham and Darlington. It offers a helpline service and ongoing face-to-face and telephone-based counselling and support. Please check their website for current helpline opening times.


Rape Crisis Helpline, 0808 802 9999,

The national Rape Crisis helpline is based in London but takes calls from all over the country and is open from 12.00 - 2.30pm and 7.00 - 9.30pm daily. It can provide confidential support and information about local services.


Survivors UK,

Survivors UK are a charity offering helpline support to men who have experienced sexual violence, and their families and carers. Web and SMS chat can be accessed through their website.


Broken Rainbow, 0300 999 5428,

Broken Rainbow is a national organisation that provides specialist support for LGBT people who have experienced abuse including sexual violence within a relationship.



Your GP

If you need medical attention and do not wish to approach specialist services, you can approach your GP for an appointment.



If you would like to report a sexual assault ring 999 in an emergency, or 101 in a non-emergency. The Police have specially trained officers, who are very experienced in helping victims of sexual assault. These officers will come out and meet you wherever and whenever you would like to speak about what has happened to you.

If you want to read more about what might happen if you make a police report you can have a look at this ‘report to court’ guide.

Latest Projects

Our award winning projects have received regional and national recognition.